Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Twelfth Night

A Guest Post by Lucy ...

Yesterday evening I went to see a play of Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare. The company that made it changed it, which I think was interesting, because they made it as if the actors were lost fire fighters during the Victorian bush fires, who were acting out the play to pass the time until they were rescued. There were some funny scenes, like when Malvolio was reading the fake love letter supposedly  from Olivia, and Maria, Sir Toby Belch, and Sir Andrew Aguecheek were pretending to be box trees, so they could listen. My favourite characters were Viola and Feste , but I didn't like Maria or Sir Toby Belch; I enjoyed the scene at the very beginning where Viola and the ship's captain who rescued her are talking and Viola decides she will pretend to be a man, but  found it frustrating when Viola  and Sebastian kept on so narrowly missing each other. I was also a little disappointed that Feste didn't sing his song at the end.

3 comments:

  1. We went to see it on Saturday - I agree that it was certainly interesting the way they tied in the fire fighters. Didn't Feste have an amazing voice?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to see you as guest Lucy, it is a good review.
    I don't know what happened to the comment I posted previously though, it disappeared!
    I agree with you about Sir Toby, I never liked him even in Year 9. I did like Maria though, she was quite funny.There were so many good scenes I'm not sure I could pick a favourite but yes the box trees were very funny. It really is a favourite play of mine & to see it in such lovely company made it more special.

    xx gcodejan

    ReplyDelete