Thursday, March 10, 2011

Thoreau and Dickinson for the Younger Set

I like to keep it simple and explore many of the same topics with Snowy as with the girls. He's been listening in to My Contract With Henry but I've also got a picture book my Dad bought for the girls some time back to share with him.

I'd love to share an image of this book, but Blogger has gone crazy on me and won't allow me to show you!
It's The Trouble With Henry: A Tale of Walden Pond by Deborah O'Neal and Angela Westengard. It focuses on Henry's time at Walden Pond and his conflict with the townspeople over a proposed mill. The illustrations of the forest and pond - by S.D.Schindler - are gentle, calm and textured; those of the townspeople are busy and humourous.



I've another lovely little book to share with Snowy about Emily Dickinson. The Mouse of Amherst by Elizabeth Spires is a sweetly imaginative telling of the poet and her life. Narrated by Emmaline the mouse, this small story introduces the reader to Emily, her home and family and her poems. Charmingly, Emmaline is herself a poet, encouraged by her unlikely friendship with Emily. The text is illustrated with delicate and telling black and white sketches by Claire A. Nivola. It's a little masterpiece; appropriate when you consider its subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment