Thursday, January 5, 2012

2012 Read Alouds for the Girls - 7th and 9th Grade

We're still making our way through A Girl of the Limberlost.

Once we're finally done with Elnora, we're reading The Penderwicks at Point Mouette. The girls are probably a little too old for this third book in the Penderwicks series, but we are very fond of them and something light and non-demanding might be a good choice for Arwen's first weeks of school.

Then I have plans for some Wodehouse. Keeping things light and amusing...I could almost simply pick a Wodehouse book at random and have it meet that criteria but I do have in mind Carry on Jeeves.

Winter will present a second opportunity for the girls to learn to love Dickens. I've no idea what book we'll be listening to, but I do know it will be an audio book we're listening to, not me, and that Chris plans to listen along with us. It won't be Great Expectations or A Tale of Two Cities - the first was loathed and the second has already been read and - loved is not the word - liked, by Lucy.

Dickens must be balanced by something contemporary, so I thought Beauty Queens by Libba Bray, which has been recommended to me by several people.

We've always read together after lunch but as Arwen won't be at home after lunch ( sob! ), read alouds this year will be after dinner. Some things change but there will always be read alouds in this house as long as there are children to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment