Saturday, July 31, 2010

Read Alouds for Six year Olds

I find that my children are ready for me to read chapter books aloud at about the age of five or six.
Snowy and I have galloped through a number of delightful read alouds this year, some familiar to me from reading to the girls, others new to both of us. So I thought I'd share the 'hits' of the year so far, the ones that I've enjoyed reading as much as Snowy has enjoyed listening.

Finn Family Moomintroll by Tove Jansson - first in a series of books about the amusing adventures of the Moomins and their odd but charming friends.

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder - if I'm honest, Snowy was lukewarm on this one, but I have fond memories of reading it to Lucy and Arwen when they were little, if that counts ?

Tumtum and Nutmeg by Emily Bearn - sweet story of two mice, Tumtum and Nutmeg, with just the right amount of danger to enthrall.

The Rescuers by Margery Sharp - more mice, more thrilling adventures, Snowy's favourite so far.

Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll - see previous post

All the Nanny Piggins books by R.A.Spratt - see previous post

Peter Pan by J. M.Barrie - again, I've written about this previously.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl - what self-respecting child isn't going to enjoy this book ? For the littlies, it has the advantage of not being as frightening as some of Dahl's other books.

Mr Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater - we're reading this now and I've been looking forward to reading it to Snowy ever since I read it to Arwen five years ago. Funny characters, funny animals and gorgeous illustrations by the Newbery and Caldecott winner, Robert Lawson ( who wrote the nuanced and utterly beautiful Rabbit Hill, but that's another post.)

Coming up next ? The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S.Lewis. Being old enough to hear that book is like an initiation in our home...

What six year old needs dreary old comprehension sheets and writing exercises when he can have a diet of books like these to entertain and absorb ?

No comments:

Post a Comment