Monday, April 22, 2013

Daily Life - Our Cyber Sabbath

It isn't often this mama lays down the law.

Two Sundays ago, sitting out on the swing seat on a glorious autumn day, while every other member of the family sat inside looking at a screen, I felt the need.

No screens for any of us, from sun-up to sun-down.Into the foreseeable future.

Our first Sunday, we drove far away from temptation, into the mountains, to gardens with trees blazing with reds and oranges, to a picnic in a quiet park, to the bribe of the old-fashioned lolly shop.















Yesterday we stayed close to home.

Yesterday there was time to:

Play catch with a boy for the longest time.

Sit in the sun with a big girl on my lap.

Make a double batch of pizza dough from scratch.

Take a long, neighbourhood walk.

Come home and bake pizzas together.

Eat pizzas together.

Rest and chat on my bed for a while.

Look at Lego design books.

Play six rounds of Scattergories.

Read, ride a bike, practice catching some more.

Make a trip to the library.

By day's end, I felt I'd actually spent time with the four other people in my family.

I think it's good when mama lays down the law. I need to do it more often.

4 comments:

  1. What a great idea! We do kick the boy outside on weekend days. He only gets a screen if he goes out to play in the sunshine and fresh air. But maybe that's a great idea for our whole family too.

    We really enjoyed a long, leisurely walk as a family yesterday. I think we'll have to make it a habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really feels good, Wendy. Spacious, like there's suddenly a lot of time in the day. And I have to say, I don't miss the digital world at all...

    Walking together is so nice, isn't it ? Fresh air, exercise, relaxation, communication...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only time the TV is on in our house, it means the man is home. He was gone all weekend, and the only time it got turned on was when my sister (who came to visit) and I sat down and watched "The Help" after the kids went to bed. It feels nice not to have to worry about screen time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It surely does :)

    I'm enjoying it so much I'm thinking of going screen free - just for me - on Saturdays as well.

    I live in hope the kids will learn by example :)

    ReplyDelete